Sunday 3 February 2013

When Body and Mind Conspire Against Us: Cycling, Insomnia and Writers Block

When I was first approached to write a piece for this esteemed blog, there was a slight sense of trepidation and doubt as to whether I would ever manage to write anything in a time frame that would make it still relevant. That was nearly 2 months ago. Well, at least I was right. I have long had a problem of coming up with my best ideas when I’m trying to sleep and therefore being too tired to write anything down or even remember it the next day. Inconveniently, there also never seems to be any paper around to write these ideas down when I’m lying in bed yet if I prepare for it, my brain will be emptier than a tortured metaphor about emptiness. 

I like to think of myself as an aspiring cyclist. Certainly at least, I am someone who makes vague efforts to maintain fitness by cycling and take joy from the process. As such, I have found that to actually get out and achieve anything on the bike I need a number of factors to go my way. Acceptable weather, a break or at least and easing of relentless summer colds and ‘good legs.’ It is incredibly frustrating to wake up and find all these things conspiring against you, but sometimes, the golden moment occurs when you can keep the purpose you woke up with alive and put it to good use. 

This morning was one of those moments. Despite waking up with a head full of cold, to leaden grey skies and a biting wind, and worst of all, ‘bad legs’ weighing me down, the sense of purpose held. Not just that, but the many thoughts on what to write from the previous night. Having struggled so much with writing from a blank canvas so to speak, I decided that perhaps writing about the process of writing itself may actually help me instead. Being able to write fluently about the struggle of writing, huh, and thus here we are. No doubt the sense of achievement I feel as a result of this will satiate me so much that the rest of the day is total write off, but still, it’s something at least. Just don’t hold your breath for my next piece!

Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment