Thursday 29 November 2012

Horny Racing from a Limitless Perspective...

I've been on a kickstarter binge again, and I know what you’re thinking so I’ll cut to the chase, no, the intervention didn't work. So with that out of the way, I’d like to walk you through a few projects that caught my eye, (some have funding, some need funding) and what I liked or didn't like about them.




So firstly we have Distance, an arcade style racer reminiscent of Tron. This game is billed as the spiritual successor to Nitronic Rush, a racing game fuelled on Techno Music and JagerBombs. Distance boasts improved graphics, an emphasis on finding shortcuts and avoiding obstacles and flying-mother-fucking-cars people! I really like the visual style of this game, especially how they've incorporated the HUD as part of the car itself, more games need to do that. Any racing game that puts an emphasis on not just going round in circles and keeping the perfect racing line is cool in my books, so as far as I'm concerned it’s a glow-in-the dark thumbs up and I look forward to it’s eventual release.

Limit Theory is a fantastic looking space exploration RPG in which the universe is quite literally limitless. The most impressive thing about this game is that it’s the brainchild of just one dude on his personal computer, yet has all the hallmarks of a AAA title. It seems to have all the factors that go into a great sandbox game, you’re not constrained by any story, there are multiple ways to progress, and there is no end to the game. Much like minecraft the whole world is procedurally generated so you can explore forever in all directions and never see the exact same patch of space repeated. The only downside to this game, and to me it’s a pretty fucking big downside, is that there’s no multiplayer at all. Which makes such a big world, a very lonely world indeed. Other than that the game is unmissable and worth at least a checkout.

So WASDIO is this weird lovechild of a joystick, a keyboard and a plane’s throttle control. The whole idea is to replace your clumsy and confusing keyboard with a comfortable joystick for your left hand. They go on to talk about fine motor skills and gross motor skills, how moving with your your wrist is somehow better. The only problem with this theory is that in the demonstrations there seemed to be barely any strafing at all, and certainly none of this erratic side to side movements that keep you alive in today’s modern FPSs. To be honest, head to head against another human player, I’d much rather be the one with wasd or a thumbstick purely for the ability to quickly change direction, the WASDIO seems great for smooth big actions, but the moment things heat up, I guarantee you I’d either loose my grip, or send the whole thing flying off the table. They've got a long way to go before reaching their goal, and about a month to do it, so if you like the idea head on over to their page and pledge.


Perspective didn't start out as a Kickstarter game, but I thought I’d include it since I'm looking forward to it nonetheless and I couldn't really flesh it out into a full article without more information. Essentially you play as two characters at the same time, the protagonist, who is limited to two dimensions, and the camera, which moves around in 3 dimensions. Essentially by changing the point of view of the camera, and exploiting the fact that objects look different from different perspectives, you can influence the two dimensional world the protagonist must navigate. There’s really no other way to explain it so you’ll have to watch the video to see what I mean. Either way, crazy puzzle games that exploit crazy physics get me excited, so I will certainly be playing this when it’s released shortly.

Finally we have Das Horn, because let’s face it, there’s more to drinking than just drinking. Especially if you’re drinking from a horn. Now I had a look through my extensive collection of tankards, steins, mason jars, goblets, hip flasks, and dimple mugs, but alas, no horn. So I think there is a gap in the market for a old timey drinking horn. I don’t like that it’s made of plastic though, it just makes it seem cheap and gimmicky. Pewter and glass probably wouldn't work either but since we’re going the plastic route I would have rather gone something tortoise shell coloured over white ABS, or at least that clear plastic you see pint glasses made from in student bars. Either way it looks rather cool, and I can’t see how suspending your drink from your neck could ever go wrong, so count me in!

So there you have it, the good, the bad, and the drunk of Kickstarter. Now to go and fuel my Rightmove addiction.
Jamie out xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment